At Xinvest Consultants, our mission is to define our client's critical
problems into executable solution(s). We typically work with Fortune 1,000
companies, venture capital firms, financial institutions, and startups to
develop a better understanding of industries, markets, customers, technologies,
trends, drivers, growth opportunities and execution of commercialization
strategies. A typical engagement for us demands extremely high level of comfort
level with cutting-edge technologies and lately our focus has been on new
business models based on exploitation of disruptive technologies like robotics,
virtual reality, artificial intelligence, Internet of Things, big data, machine
learning, XaaS, etc.
- Advised a global HVAC conglomerate on an acquisition strategy and attractive
candidates in the liquid cooling technology space for datacenters supporting AI
and machine learning companies.
- Assessed the risks from competitors on China on behalf of one of the world's
largest manufacturer of semiconductors (specifically chips used in AI) and
developed a path forward to respond effectively.
- Formulated the growth strategy of a global industrials conglomerate for the
heavy-duty truck and powersports sectors. • Advised the CEO and VP of corporate
development of a tech firm with development of an entry strategy for the life
- Provided support to a French industrials conglomerate in identifying an
acquisition candidate in North America in the IoT space with a focus on
security/HVAC applications in hospitality and other commercial real estate.
- Advised the CFO and corporate strategy team of a $30 billion mining company
with options for their under-performing TiO2 business.
- Developed a growth platform for an equipment supplier for QSR, fast casual
and fine dining restaurants and convenience stores by taking a
solutions/systems approach to building management using IoT.
- Helped the growth strategy group at a $35 billion heavy machinery
manufacturer identify acquisition targets in the $500 M to $1 B range.
- For a $2 B European engineering services firm, I developed a growth strategy
for the aviation, defense, and space sectors.
- Guided chief innovation officer of an industrial firm with a market entry
strategy for a B2B software and fiber optics equipment for use in oil and gas
- Due diligence of a specialty chemicals firm for acquisition by a $19 billion
private equity group.
- Created the architecture of a new healthcare business combining surgical
imaging and big data for one of the world’s largest industrial conglomerates.
- Guided a $3 billion venture capital firm evaluate an investment in an
early-stage startup developing full-stack software for autonomous vehicles.
- Adviser to a global private equity and venture capital firm to make an
investment decision in a B2B data services company addressing supply chain
inefficiencies in the materials sector.
- Developed commercialization strategy of a non-oxide ceramic product to
compete with carbon nanotubes for a $23 billion Fortune 500 company.
- Adviser to a $3 billion performance chemicals company reset its business
model for the automotive/Tier 1 companies in the polyolefin additives space.
- Defined the corporate strategy for a Fortune 1000 industrials conglomerate
to enable them to develop a growth platform using composites for high-value,
high-growth markets like drones and medical implants.
- Due diligence of a household cleaners contract manufacturer and assessment
of its CPG customer base on behalf of a private equity group.
- Developed a go-to-market strategy for a software firm for the legal services
- Advised a private equity group in making an investment in a telematics
startup serving the commercial truck sector. • Developed the medical implants
growth strategy for a silicones manufacturer.
- Facilitated a panel of experts to develop a process technology solution to
save $55 million by a global oilfield services company.
- Developed a growth strategy for an industrial products manufacturer to
prepare for its divestment by a private equity group.
- Advised managing partners at a private equity fund on the market potential
of an acquisition in the fire suppression space.
- Guided the leadership team at a manufacturer of Nylon 12 in identifying a
growth opportunity in fiber optics cables.
- End-to-end analysis of the building materials supply chain (products include
bricks/masonry, cabinets/countertops, decking, dimensional/engineered lumber,
doors, trims, fasteners, flashing, tapes, insulation, millwork, molding,
stairs, plywood, under flooring, sheathing, railing, roofing, siding, trusses,
wallboard, ceilings, weather barriers, and windows/patio doors) to identify
investment and value creation options for product manufacturers and
distributors as well as homebuilders.
- Manufacturing cost assessment and analysis of strategy of a privately held,
private-label competitor (manufacturer of trash bags) to develop a new approach
for sales to mass merchandisers.
- Global search for an acquisitions candidate to develop a growth platform for
an oil and gas company looking to funnel its byproducts (target market included
commodity and specialty high temperature plastics).
- Assessment of new products landscape to help a vinyl supplier identify
growth options in the windows and patio doors segment.
- Critical analysis of aerospace/defense, consumer products, chemical
processing, medical, automotive, energy, electronics, heavy machinery,
semiconductor, and packaging sectors to identify investment opportunities
through new products from high performance polymers, such as, fluoropolymers
(PTFE, FEP, PVDF, ECTFE), high performance polyamides (PAMXD6, PA46, PA4T,
PA6T, PA9T, PA10T, and amorphous HPPAs like PA6I/6T, PA6/3T, PA6I, and a-PA12,
liquid crystal polymers or LCP, polyaryletherketones (PEEK, PEK, PEKK, PEKKEK)
and blends (PEEK/PBI, PEEK/PPSU), polyarylethersulfones (PSU, PES, PPSU),
polybenzimidazole, polyimides (PI, PEI, TPI, PAI, PEIS), and polyphenylene
sulfide or PPS.
- Helped a pharmaceutical firm develop a long-term growth strategy by
understanding regulatory trends and global competitive issues and redesigning
their drug development process.
- Provided leadership to a startup with its launch and rapid initial growth
efforts. I provided direction to the management and helped them implement their
- Helped a global oil and gas firm involved in fracking with new product
development by using UV LED technology for water treatment.
- Researched the bulk material logistics business opportunity in Lower
Mississippi River region for driving growth for firm that owns terminals in the
- Advised one of the global leaders in empty capsules to develop a growth
platform in the US nutraceuticals market. • Guided the marketing strategy of a
technology firm to develop products and solutions designed to make life easy
for seniors and disabled.
- Participated in a group exercise with other experts to devise a path forward
for Commonwealth of Massachusetts to become a hub for digital healthcare.
Charles River Associates
Developed strategy and implemented business model
transformations as part of the firm's Chemicals practice. During his tenure,
Jay worked with multiple Fortune 500 clients in such areas as M&A,
portfolio management, growth platform development, and opportunity analysis.
- Led a team of client executives at a specialty gas company
in an enterprise wide competency assessment resulting in identification of a $3
billion growth platform through portfolio management and business model
- For a specialty chemical company, analyzed the personal care
sector, helping the client transform their business model, identify acquisition
targets, and restructure their portfolio to develop a $100 million growth
engine. This exercise was conducted to reposition the firm as an attractive
- Crafted an acquisition driven growth strategy for a $1
billion division of a global leader in specialty chemicals, resulting in a
short list of $250 million acquisition candidates in the high growth digital
- Collaborated with senior executives at a global
petrochemical company to pursue growth opportunities for their resins in the mobile
device battery market.
- Identified $50 million new growth opportunities in consumer
electronics, healthcare, and energy devices for a $500 million supplier leading
to a new products strategy.
- Worked on a team of experts to implement knowledge
management program to build a repository of intelligence and insights and
created systems and processes so that users could access and use the research
already available and build on it.
Kline & Company
At this boutique management consulting firm steeped in advanced materials technologies, Jay worked with Fortune 500 clients helping them identify new growth opportunities in polymers, specialty chemicals, plastics, packaging, and batteries.
- After a Japanese company acquired a competitor in the United
States, helped them refocus their engineering thermoplastics portfolio.
- Developed a market repositioning strategy for a leading
resin manufacturer for their PSU and HPPA product lines.
- Value chain analysis of glass micro-fibers, AGM separators,
VRLA batteries, and automotive OEMs for a battery parts supplier.
- Directed the management at a global composites manufacturer
with their market development plan for the glove dipping business for their
- Developed competitive intelligence on a Japanese disposable
camera supplier with plants in the United States and Mexico.
- Helped a global petrochemical company develop a go-to-market
strategy for their polysulfone polymer in the membranes used in water
- Helped a leading alkaline battery supplier with their global
- Worked closely with the product development group of an
industrial/automotive catalyst manufacturer to redesign their new product development
and launch process.
- Helped identify materials for manufacturing golf balls by a
- Provided a growth plan for a glass manufacturer to pursue
opportunities in fiberglass reinforcements and glass micro-spheres markets.
- Helped a technology development organization with licensing
options for their new technologies.
- Worked with the management of a packaging film company to
develop a new market in oriented polypropylene (OPP) films.